Friday, June 5, 2015

On Collecting.....




Although I have only been sculpting for 3 years, I have been interested in, and collecting pottery for decades.  It all began in 1969 when I attended a gallery show in San Antonio, Tx. where a potter by the name of Ishmael Soto, who taught at the Univ.of Tx., I believe, was having a one-man show.  I purchased a great piece which I have lovingly lugged around the country for the last 46 years!


In the same year, a trip to Europe and N. Africa with my brother resulted in another great find.  This piece has never been cleaned, and I admire the primitive colors and texture.  Purchased in a small Tunisian shop, it is probably hundreds of years old, and this one, too, remains one of my faves.


But to show a little diversity, I have a couple of Asian/Asian inspired pieces.  The small Chinese bowl is 18th or 19th c. Batavia export ware that was popular with Westerners during that period, and exported in large quantities to Europe. (espec. Holland)  I like this piece for its simplicity and perfect execution.
The rice bowl alongside is by an Indiana artist …Larry Spears…who showed, recently, at the Greenville Artisphere. This one appealed because of the clever chopstick holder and beautiful shape.


And lastly I want to show you several  pieces purchase in the last few years, here, in the Carolinas. If you like pottery (or any craft, for that matter) it is hard not to become absorbed with this area.  I could, literally, buy something to add to the collection every day, but have decided that the anticipation is the best part of the hunt!  So I bide my time………guess what?   This weekend is a great one for shows and sales, so here I go again!

 (from the left: cup from Alberta Pottery in Greenville, SC...19th c. Carolina redware....and jar, cup, bowl by Mariana Menge, Akira Satake, and Cat Jarosz...all Asheville, NC potters)

My advice on collecting:  When I buy I usually just follow my instincts which lean to the organic and primitive. Shape and color are important….size isn’t.  I encourage anyone to just jump in and start collecting ….anything. You can even start with thrift shops until you decide what it is you like, and refine your search a little.  And there are great Facebook groups which can help you to identify just about anything! Happy hunting!

No comments:

Post a Comment